Skip to main content
Anonymous
Asked a question 3 months ago

I have a Non For Profit Charity Organization and its been extremely hard to find volunteers. I have had lots of people reach out, I've spoken to them by phone and email on several occasions and then offer to meet them in person to discuss further. I've also had ones reach out and say they want to help so then I get in touch with them and don't hear from them again. I get no shows, cancellations, or they disappear after I make efforts to talk with them, and letting them choose when they are able to volunteer. Allot of time has been wasted and still no volunteers. I also have them reach out saying how much they want to help but every time I ask when they will be available or can help in particular days they come back with they are too busy. I seriously need some guidance on how to get consistent volunteers who actually want to help instead of just saying it. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Where am I?

In Donorbox Community you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Hello! Thank you for this question. As a long-time Volunteer Manager, I know first-hand how challenging it can be to get a new volunteer program off the ground. I've got a few follow-up questions for you that will help guide what advice I can offer. :)

First, could you tell me a little bit about your organization?

What volunteer roles are available? Are the duties and responsibilities clearly written on your website? And where are you advertising these volunteer opportunities? (social, your website, newsletter, somewhere else?)

And finally, what process do you follow once someone expresses an interest in volunteering? Do you have onboarding or training?

Looking forward to getting to the bottom of it! In the meantime, I'm sharing a great webinar we hosted last year on how to find your next volunteer "superstars". 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuWx9ZmE10E